Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sleep Apnea

Do you snore? Do you ever wake up tired? Are you sleepy during the day? If your answer is yes, then you may have sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder in which breathing will constantly start and stop throughout the night.

The most common signs and symptoms of sleep apnea are:

Loud snoring

Daytime sleepiness/fatigue

Awakenings with shortness of breath

Awakening with a sore throat or dry mouth

Someone observes you having episodes where it appears that you stop breathing

Headache in the mornings

Difficulty sleeping

If you have several of these symptoms you should see your doctor.

A few months ago I woke up with a headache most everyday and I was so tired I could barely put one foot in front of the other. I went to my regular doctor and she recommend I see a pulmonologist. He wanted me to have a sleep study. I had the study done on February 2, 2010. The study showed that I did have sleep apnea. I was fitted with a sleep apnea mask and given CPAP machine to go with it. Within a few days I could tell a big difference! I had a lot more energy and I wasn't sleepy during the day. I have had my machine for two months and it has made a world of difference.
 
NOTE:  Not sleeping enough will cause your metabolism to get messed up and it will affect your ability to lose weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment